Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Blog #6: Comment On Classmate's Work: "Marijuana, don't mess with Texas?"

To legalize or to not legalize marijuana is a hot topic these days. The blog post "Marijuana, don't mess with Texas?" posted on April 5, 2019 by Arnelious Dominich gives an interesting perspective on the issue and raises many intriguing questions about the topic. I agree that marijuana should become legal, however, my only concern is that large companies may end up ruining the product. Companies will want to get their hands on it for none other than......that's right......money. Those concerns a side, I do believe marijuana should be legalized. I have a medical condition that would benefit from medical marijuana for pain management. I currently do not use marijuana for treatment, but I would like to have the option to obtain it legally if I choose to do so. Just as Dominich expressed, I grew up being told that marijuana was evil and only bad people used it; that is simply a misrepresentation of marijuana use. My favorite part about this post is comparing the safety of tobacco and alcohol to marijuana. Dominich writes,

"IF the people that don’t allow the legalization of marijuana say that it’s because of health concerns and they worry for the public, then why are things such as tobacco (which has been proven to cause lung cancer) and alcohol (which has been proven to damage the liver) still okay to sell and buy?"

I agree 100%. On top of alcohol and tobacco, opioids are prescribed legally which can lead to serious addiction and have other serious side effects. Pharmaceutical drugs prescribed today can be very dangerous and have multiple negative side effects. Marijuana can be used in place of some of these pharmaceuticals for different symptoms and diseases with the benefit of less negative side effects. 


I think Dominich delivered a great opinionated blog post with lots of good thoughts and questions. I encourage people to learn more about marijuana and look at the pros and cons of making marijuana legal. This is a good post to get your thoughts rolling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment