Friday, May 10, 2019

Blog #8: Comment on Classmate's Work: Pink Tax

I found Rayroo's "Blog 5" about Pink Tax to be very interesting and unique. This is something I've never given much thought to, but it is something all women should be aware of. Products targeted for woman such as lotions, razors, and shaving creams cost more, and services are also priced higher. I'll use the example of a haircut. My boyfriend pays 15-20 dollars to get a hair cut from pretty much any men's barber--in multiple cities and states. This includes a beard trim as well. I have visited many salons in my life time--in different cities and states and at different "levels" of quality. They all share one thing in common--they are expensive! So while my boyfriend pays 15 dollars, I pay an average of 75 dollar for a simple trim and wash. It doesn't matter the length of hair, thickness, or time it takes. I have gotten a simple trim with no wash, paid 65 dollars, and was out of the chair in less than ten minutes. This specific example only touches the surface of showing the extreme difference between what men and women pay. I particularly found interest when Rayroo wrote, "We spend thousands a year just because of the 'disadvantage' of being a woman. Tampons and pads are charged sales tax because they are considered 'luxury' items and it makes no sense to me." Tampons and pads are not "luxury items." As Rayroo mentioned, speaking up and questioning companies is a way to put a stop to this. Congresswoman Jackie Speier opposes this tax and introduced the Pink Tax Repeal Act to the federal government. I am curious to see if anything changes with this in the future. I really enjoyed reading this blog, and it made me think about this specific topic in greater detail. It seems like such a small thing--complaining about spending more on products and services--but it represents the greater issue of inequality that needs to be addressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment